Saturday 15 September 2012

Example Music Videos

I decided to look at other music videos in a similar style and genre, and will be using these as inspiration and for ideas that can be applied to my music video. Most of them are indie music videos, many of them low budget, which I think helps me in making my video, enabling me to create interesting effects/technique, despite having lower quality equipment.

I chose this video, which is quite popular and a higher budget than the others, due to the costumes and special effects added afterwards. I chose this because I liked the dangerous feeling that was created by the misty forest, which will be useful in my video, in which the mythical goddess lives in a forest, controlling nature with her power.

I have chosen 2 videos by this artist, Gabrielle Aplin who became well known on Youtube and has a very indie style voice and I love how calming her music is and this is emphasised by the techniques used in her videos. One video is quite relaxed and slow paced, set in field and beach locations. I like the warm colour tone throughout the video, giving the viewer a warm feeling which goes well as the idea of the song is home. I originally had the idea of having a trail of white feathers, and then came across this video in which she finds a white feather. I could use the camera angles and movement in this scene as a guide for my filmingThe second video is more upbeat, and the pace is similar to my song 'Rhiannon' I like the use of props in this and carefree vibe they create, along with the well done superimposing of shots. I will definitely by using this technique, layering shots of Rhiannon with shots of flower, birds etc.

I then found this video, by another artist, who is big on Youtube. She covers a song by Katy Perry, but I love the lighting mostly in this, and some scenes, is is getting dark and you can see her silhouette against the sunset. I loved this effect and could be something to consider using in my video.

I found this video by The Honey Trees, which has more of a narrative, so can help me to add more of a story, because, at the moment, my narrative is more there for a mood, showing Rhiannon's different sides. I like the scene in the forest and some of the cutaways of rivers and trees. I also like the vintage effect of the camera and the outfits and props also add to this.

I like this video by First Aid Kit, especially because of the locations and the use of slow motion. The slow motion and slow editing is used also all the way through, creating a relaxed vibe. This is almost too slow, so I think in my video I would like to use both slow motion as well as fast editing to show the differences in mood and personalities of Rhiannon and the different volumes of the song. I would like to use similar tracking shots and low angle shots in my video.

Lastly, I like this video by The Paper Kites, because the narrative of it and mine as similar in that characters are following a trail in a wild forest, creating a feeling of adventure and excitement. At the same time it is very relaxed due to the slow motion and chilled attitude of the musicians. Also the colour effects are quite warm, like 'Home' by Gabrielle Aplin.

No comments:

Post a Comment